Rich, buttery cookies become more delightful still topped with peanut butter cups and candy. They are cute for spring, but I've used appropriately colored decorations to match occasions at any time of the year. —Darlene Brenden, Salem, Oregon
Recommended: Homemade Easter Candy
- 30 green gumdrops
- 3/4 cup creamy peanut butter
- 1/2 cup shortening
- 3/4 cup sugar, divided
- 1/2 cup packed brown sugar
- 1 egg
- 2 tablespoons milk
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1-1/3 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 30 miniature peanut butter cups, halved
- 60 cake decorator candy flowers
- Flatten the gumdrops; cut into small leaf shapes and set aside. In a bowl, cream peanut butter, shortening, 1/2 cup sugar and brown sugar. Add the egg, milk and vanilla; mix well. Combine the flour, baking soda and salt; add to the creamed mixture and mix well.
- Shape into 1-in. balls. Roll in remaining sugar; place on ungreased baking sheets. Bake at 350° for 10-12 minutes or until lightly browned.
- Remove from the oven and immediately lightly press one peanut butter cup cut side down into each cookie to form a basket. Press a candy flower onto cookie so it appears as if a flower is coming out of the basket; press gumdrop leaves next to flowers. Cool on wire racks. Yield: about 5 dozen.
Originally published as Peanut Butter Baskets in Taste of Home April/May 1997, p33
Reviews for Peanut Butter Baskets
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review
Reviewed May. 15, 2013
"These are so pretty and very yummy. I made them for a tea, and a bake sale. Everyone loved them. I piped flowers with home-aid frosting, so they did have the crunch of the boughten ones."