Peanut Butter Bars
I got this recipe when working as a school cafeteria manager years ago. These bars were so popular with kids that we'd have to make extra or we'd run out.—Sarah Thomas, Roanoke, Virginia
96 ServingsPrep: 10 min. Bake: 20 min. + cooling
- 6 cups sugar
- 3 cups packed brown sugar
- 2 cups peanut butter
- 1 cup shortening
- 12 eggs
- 2 tablespoons vanilla extract
- 8 cups all-purpose flour
- 3 tablespoons baking powder
- 2 teaspoons salt
- Confectioners' sugar
- In a large bowl, in batches, cream the sugars, peanut butter and
- shortening until light and fluffy. Beat in the eggs and vanilla.
- Combine the flour, baking powder and salt; gradually add to creamed
- mixture and mix well.
- Press into three greased 15-in. x 10-in. x 1-in. baking pans. Bake at
- 350° for 20-25 minutes or until top is golden brown. cool. Dust
- with confectioners' sugar. Yield: 8 dozen.
Nutritional Facts: 1 serving (1 each) equals 172 calories, 5 g fat (1 g saturated fat), 27 mg cholesterol, 122 mg sodium, 28 g carbohydrate, 1 g fiber, 3 g protein.