I got this recipe when working as a school cafeteria manager years ago. These bars were so popular with kids that we'd have to make extra or we'd run out.—Sarah Thomas, Roanoke, Virginia
Featured In: Top 10 Dessert Bars
- 6 cups sugar
- 3 cups packed brown sugar
- 2 cups peanut butter
- 1 cup shortening
- 12 eggs
- 2 tablespoons vanilla extract
- 8 cups all-purpose flour
- 3 tablespoons baking powder
- 2 teaspoons salt
- Confectioners' sugar
- In a large bowl, in batches, cream the sugars, peanut butter and shortening until light and fluffy. Beat in the eggs and vanilla. Combine the flour, baking powder and salt; gradually add to creamed mixture and mix well.
- Press into three greased 15-in. x 10-in. x 1-in. baking pans. Bake at 350° for 20-25 minutes or until top is golden brown. cool. Dust with confectioners' sugar. Yield: 8 dozen.
Originally published as Peanut Butter Bars in Taste of Home April/May 1995, p54
Reviews for Peanut Butter Bars
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review
Reviewed Apr. 6, 2009
"Who has this many pans? or a big oven? Why not cut this recipe down for normal folks?"