Peanut Butter Balls Recipe
- Materials needed:
- 6 cups sugar
- 1-1/4 cups water
- 6 drops red food coloring
- 3/4-inch to 1-inch-wide silver ribbon (optional)
- 12-inch serving platter or covered board
- 9-inch heart shaped pan
- Peanut butter balls:
- 1 cup butter, softened
- 2 cups creamy peanut butter
- 7-1/2 cups (2 pounds) confectioners' sugar
- 1-1/2 pounds dark chocolate candy coating, coarsely chopped
- 1. Directions for Candy Dish:
- 2. Dust a 9-inch heart-shaped pan with cornstarch and set aside. In a bowl, combine sugar, water and food coloring; mix with hands until the consistency of wet sand (see photo 1). Firmly pack into prepared pan (see photo 2).
- 3. Smooth the top surface and immediately invert onto an ungreased heavy-duty baking sheet. Tap top of pan to loosen; remove pan (see photo 3) and let dry for 4 hours.
- 4. When mixture is dry, carefully invert the heart. Using a spoon, gently scoop out soft sugar, leaving a 1/2-in.-thick shell (see photo 4). Smooth inside edge with fingertips. Dry candy dish at room temperature for 24 hours or in a 200° oven for 20 minutes. Cool completely on the baking sheet.
- 5. Transfer to a 12-in. serving platter or covered board. If desired, place silver ribbon on board around dish (see photo at far left). Fill dish with Peanut Butter Balls (recipe below) in foil cups if desired.
- 6. Peanut Butter Balls:
- 7. In a bowl, cream the butter and peanut butter. Gradually add sugar; mix well. Shape level tablespoonfuls into balls; set aside. In a saucepan over low heat, melt candy coating. Dip peanut butter balls in chocolate; place on waxed paper to harden. Yield: 7 dozen.
2 each: 278 calories, 15g fat (8g saturated fat), 12mg cholesterol, 101mg sodium, 35g carbohydrate (31g sugars, 1g fiber), 3g protein .
Reviews for Peanut Butter Balls
"I thought the directions were written ok. And I assume the reason for no picture is because it was originally published in the magazine."
"Poorly written directions!"
"Sorry but where are the Photos mentioned in the directions??"