Peachy Rice Dessert Recipe
In Nada, Texas, Monica Staff uses leftover rice to create this creamy dessert with old-fashioned flavor. Beneath its sweet cinnamon and peach topping is a saucy rice pudding-like layer.
- 2 cups cooked rice
- 1-1/2 cups milk
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- 2 eggs, lightly beaten
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 can (15 ounces) sliced peaches, drained
- 1/3 cup packed brown sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/4 cup sour cream, optional
- In a saucepan, combine rice, milk, sugar and salt. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; simmer, uncovered, for 10 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Stir a small amount of rice mixture into eggs; return all to the pan. Cook and stir for 2-3 minutes or until a thermometer reads 160°. Remove from the heat; stir in vanilla. Pour into a greased shallow 1-qt. baking dish. Top with peaches. Combine brown sugar and cinnamon; sprinkle 1 tablespoonful over peaches.
- Broil for 3-5 minutes or until browned. Let stand for 5-10 minutes. Serve in bowls; sprinkle with remaining cinnamon-sugar. Top with sour cream if desired. Yield: 4 servings.
Originally published as Peachy Rice Dessert in Quick Cooking January/February 1999, p48
Reviews for Peachy Rice Dessert(0)
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review