Peach-Stuffed French Toast Recipe
- 1 loaf (1 pound) French bread, cut into 20 slices
- 1 can (15 ounces) sliced peaches in extra-light syrup, drained and chopped
- 1/4 cup chopped pecans
- 4 eggs
- 4 egg whites
- 1-1/2 cups fat-free milk
- 3 tablespoons sugar
- 1-1/4 teaspoons ground cinnamon, divided
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 2 tablespoons brown sugar
- 2 tablespoons cold butter
- Reduced-calorie pancake syrup, optional
- 1. Arrange half of the bread in a 13-in. x 9-in. baking dish coated with cooking spray. Top with peaches, pecans and remaining bread.
- 2. In a small bowl, whisk the eggs, egg whites, milk, sugar, 1 teaspoon cinnamon and vanilla; pour over bread. Cover and refrigerate for 8 hours or overnight.
- 3. Remove from the refrigerator 30 minutes before baking. Bake, uncovered, at 400° for 20 minutes.
- 4. In a small bowl, combine the flour, brown sugar and remaining cinnamon; cut in butter until crumbly. Sprinkle over French toast. Bake 5-10 minutes longer or until a knife inserted near the center comes out clean. Serve with syrup if desired. Yield: 10 servings.
1 piece: 267 calories, 8g fat (3g saturated fat), 92mg cholesterol, 368mg sodium, 39g carbohydrate (13g sugars, 2g fiber), 10g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 2-1/2 starch, 1-1/2 fat.
Reviews for Peach-Stuffed French Toast
"Me, my husband and 2 teens LOVED this recipe. Not too sweet, just right. Didn't even need the syrup. This will become a stable in our house."
"This recipe wasn't a hit with my family. The french toast didn't taste very peachy, nor did it have a lot of flavor."