Peach-Stuffed French Toast Recipe
With its make-ahead convenience and scrumptious flavor, this recipe is ideal for holiday brunches-and for busy hostesses with a hungry crowd to feed! Thanks to Julie Robinson in Little Chute, Wisconsin for sharing this stand-out dish.
TOTAL TIME: Prep: 25 min. + chilling Bake: 25 min. YIELD:10 servings
- 1 loaf (1 pound) French bread, cut into 20 slices
- 1 can (15 ounces) sliced peaches in extra-light syrup, drained and chopped
- 1/4 cup chopped pecans
- 4 eggs
- 4 egg whites
- 1-1/2 cups fat-free milk
- 3 tablespoons sugar
- 1-1/4 teaspoons ground cinnamon, divided
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 2 tablespoons brown sugar
- 2 tablespoons cold butter
- Reduced-calorie pancake syrup, optional
- 1. Arrange half of the bread in a 13-in. x 9-in. baking dish coated with cooking spray. Top with peaches, pecans and remaining bread.
- 2. In a small bowl, whisk the eggs, egg whites, milk, sugar, 1 teaspoon cinnamon and vanilla; pour over bread. Cover and refrigerate for 8 hours or overnight.
- 3. Remove from the refrigerator 30 minutes before baking. Bake, uncovered, at 400° for 20 minutes.
- 4. In a small bowl, combine the flour, brown sugar and remaining cinnamon; cut in butter until crumbly. Sprinkle over French toast. Bake 5-10 minutes longer or until a knife inserted near the center comes out clean. Serve with syrup if desired. Yield: 10 servings.
1 piece equals 267 calories, 8 g fat (3 g saturated fat), 92 mg cholesterol, 368 mg sodium, 39 g carbohydrate, 2 g fiber, 10 g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 2-1/2 starch, 1-1/2 fat.
© 2014 RDA Enthusiast Brands, LLC