Peach Shortcake Recipe
With blushing fresh peaches in plentiful supply, Karen Owen of Rising Sun, Indiana thinks this appealing layered dessert can't be beat. "Brown sugar and ginger give the shortcake its mellow, sweet-spicy flavor," she notes.
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 tablespoons brown sugar
- 1 tablespoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1/2 cup cold butter
- 2/3 cup milk
- 1-1/2 pound ripe fresh peaches or nectarines, peeled and thinly sliced
- 6 tablespoons brown sugar, divided
- 1/4 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1 cup heavy whipping cream
- 1/4 cup chopped pecans, toasted
- 1. Combine the first five ingredients in a bowl; cut in butter until mixture resembles coarse crumbs. Add milk, stirring only until moistened. Turn onto a lightly floured surface; knead 10 times.
- 2. Pat evenly into a greased 8-in. round baking pan. Bake at 425° for 20-25 minutes or until golden brown. Remove from pan to cool on a wire rack.
- 3. Just before serving, combine peaches, 4 tablespoons brown sugar and ginger. Whip cream with remaining brown sugar until stiff.
- 4. Split shortcake into two layers; place bottom layer on a serving platter. Spoon half of the peach mixture over cake; top with half of cream. Cover with second cake layer and remaining peach mixture. Garnish with remaining cream; sprinkle with pecans. Yield: 8-10 servings.
1 serving (1 piece) equals 355 calories, 21 g fat (12 g saturated fat), 59 mg cholesterol, 352 mg sodium, 39 g carbohydrate, 2 g fiber, 4 g protein.
© 2015 RDA Enthusiast Brands, LLC