Peach Shortcake Towers Recipe
"These tender biscuits make wonderful peach or berry shortcakes that are always greeted with 'oohs' and 'aahs'," says Opal Sanders of Glouster, Ohio. "They are very pretty when stacked pyramid-style."
TOTAL TIME: Prep/Total Time: 30 min. YIELD:6 servings
- 3 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/4 cup finely chopped walnuts
- 2 tablespoons baking powder
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup plus 1 tablespoon heavy whipping cream, divided
- 1 egg
- 7 to 9 tablespoons sugar, divided
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 to 2 tablespoons cold water
- 4 cups sliced fresh peaches
- Whipped topping
- 1. In a large bowl, combine the flour, nuts, baking powder and salt. In a large bowl, beat 1 cup cream, egg, 2 tablespoons sugar and vanilla until slightly thickened. Stir into dry ingredients until mixture forms a ball, adding cold water if necessary.
- 2. Turn dough onto a floured surface; knead 8-10 times. Roll out to 1/2-in. thickness. Cut into three 3-1/2-in. circles, three 2-3/4-in. circles and six 1-1/4-in. circles. Place on ungreased baking sheets.
- 3. Brush the tops with remaining cream. Bake at 425° for 8-12 minutes or until golden brown.
- 4. In a large bowl, combine the peaches and 5-7 tablespoons of sugar. Split the large and medium biscuits in half horizontally. Spoon a few peach slices on large biscuit halves; dollop with whipped topping. Top each with a medium biscuit half, remaining peaches and whipped topping and a small biscuit. Yield: 6 servings.
1 serving (1 each) equals 524 calories, 20 g fat (10 g saturated fat), 93 mg cholesterol, 821 mg sodium, 77 g carbohydrate, 4 g fiber, 10 g protein.
© 2014 RDA Enthusiast Brands, LLC