Peach Scones Recipe
In Fort Wayne, Indiana, Molly Mochamer invites variety to breakfast by baking a batch of light fluffy scones. "Bits of dried peaches make them summery and slightly sweet," she says.
TOTAL TIME: Prep/Total Time: 25 min. YIELD:8 servings
- 1-1/3 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/2 cup plus 2 teaspoons sugar, divided
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 2 tablespoons cold butter
- 1/2 cup plus 2 tablespoons reduced-fat sour cream
- 1/4 cup chopped dried peaches or apricots
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 teaspoon fat-free milk
- 1. In a bowl, combine the flour, 1/2 cup sugar, baking powder, baking soda and salt. Cut in butter until mixture resembles coarse crumbs. Add sour cream, peaches and vanilla; stir just until moistened.
- 2. Turn dough onto a floured surface; knead gently 4-5 times (dough will be sticky). Divide dough in half; gently pat each portion into an 8-in. circle on a baking sheet coated with cooking spray. Cut each into four wedges; separate wedges slightly.
- 3. Brush tops with milk; sprinkle with remaining sugar. Bake at 400° for 10-12 minutes or until golden brown. Yield: 8 scones.
One scone equals 181 calories, 4 g fat (3 g saturated fat), 13 mg cholesterol, 295 mg sodium, 32 g carbohydrate, 1 g fiber, 3 g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 2 starch, 1/2 fruit.
© 2014 RDA Enthusiast Brands, LLC