Peach Pie Recipe
"I acquired this delicious recipe some 40 years ago, when my husband and I first moved to southern Iowa and had peach trees growing in our backyard," writes June Mueller from Sioux City, Iowa. "It's been a family favorite since then and always brings back memories of both summer and those happy early years. We like it with a scoop of vanilla ice cream and cup of tea."
TOTAL TIME: Prep: 35 min. + standing Bake: 50 min. + cooling YIELD:6-8 servings
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1/4 cup packed brown sugar
- 4-1/2 cups sliced peeled peaches
- Pastry for double-crust pie (9 inches)
- 3 tablespoons cornstarch
- 1/4 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- 2 teaspoons lemon juice
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 1. In a large bowl, combine sugars; add peaches and toss gently. Cover and let stand for 1 hour. Line a 9-in. pie plate with bottom pastry; trim even with edge. Set aside. Drain peaches, reserving juice.
- 2. In a small saucepan, combine the cornstarch, nutmeg, cinnamon and salt; gradually stir in reserved juice. Bring to a boil; cook and stir for 2 minutes or until thickened. Remove from the heat; stir in lemon juice and butter. Gently fold in peaches. Pour into crust.
- 3. Roll out remaining pastry; make a lattice crust. Trim, seal and flute edges. Cover edges loosely with foil. Bake at 400° for 50-60 minutes or until crust is golden brown and filling is bubbly. Remove foil. Cool on a wire rack. Yield: 6-8 servings.
1 serving (1 piece) equals 380 calories, 16 g fat (7 g saturated fat), 14 mg cholesterol, 254 mg sodium, 59 g carbohydrate, 2 g fiber, 3 g protein.
© 2014 RDA Enthusiast Brands, LLC