South Carolina is one of the leading producers of peaches. Luckily, we live only 3 miles from a large peach orchard. This ice cream is one of my most popular uses for the luscious fruit. We can hardly wait for the harvest so we can enjoy it.
- 1 tablespoon unflavored gelatin
- 2 tablespoons cold water
- 1-1/2 cups milk
- 1 cup half-and-half cream
- 1/2 cup evaporated milk
- 2 cups sliced peeled ripe peaches
- 1-3/4 cups sugar, divided
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/4 teaspoon almond extract
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- In a small microwave-safe bowl, sprinkle gelatin over cold water; let stand for 1 minute. Microwave on high for 20 seconds; stir. Let stand until gelatin is completely dissolved.
- In a large bowl, combine the gelatin, milk, cream and evaporated milk.
- In another bowl, mash the peaches with 1 cup sugar. Add the peach mixture, extracts, salt and remaining sugar to the cream mixture; stir until sugar is dissolved.
- Fill cylinder of ice cream freezer two-thirds full; freeze according to manufacturer's directions. When ice cream is frozen, transfer to a freezer container; freeze for 2-4 hours before serving. Yield: about 1 quart.
Originally published as Peach Ice Cream in Country Woman July/August 2003, p33
Sweet White Wine
Enjoy this recipe with a sweet white wine such as Moscato or a sweet Riesling.
Reviews for Peach Orchard Ice Cream
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review