Peach Gelato Recipe
This heavenly, creamy gelato looks as good as it tastes. The mild, refreshing peach flavor will make everyone a fan. —Molly Haen, Baldwin, Wisconsin
- 3 cups sliced peeled peaches
- 2 tablespoons water
- 2 cups whole milk
- 3/4 cup sugar
- 4 egg yolks, beaten
- 1 cup heavy whipping cream
- 1 tablespoon peach schnapps liqueur, optional
- 1. Place peaches and water in a large skillet; cook, uncovered, over medium heat until tender. Place in a food processor; cover and process until blended. Set aside.
- 2. In a small saucepan, heat milk to 175°; stir in sugar until dissolved. Whisk a small amount of the hot mixture into egg yolks. Return all to the pan, whisking constantly. Cook over low heat until mixture is just thick enough to coat a metal spoon and a thermometer reads at least 160°, stirring constantly. Do not allow to boil. Remove from heat immediately.
- 3. Quickly transfer to a large bowl; place bowl in a pan of ice water. Stir gently and occasionally for 2 minutes. Stir in cream, peaches and liqueur if desired. Press plastic wrap onto surface of custard. Refrigerate several hours or overnight.
- 4. Fill cylinder of ice cream freezer two-thirds full; freeze according to the manufacturer’s directions. (Refrigerate any remaining mixture until ready to freeze.) Transfer ice cream to freezer containers, allowing headspace for expansion. Freeze 2-4 hours or until firm. Repeat with any remaining gelato mixture. Yield: 1 quart.
1/2 cup equals 260 calories, 15 g fat (9 g saturated fat), 149 mg cholesterol, 40 mg sodium, 27 g carbohydrate, 1 g fiber, 4 g protein.
© 2015 RDA Enthusiast Brands, LLC