Let the aroma of baked peaches, brown sugar and cinnamon wake up your clan when you prepare this homespun dish from Geraldine Case of Anderson, Indiana. Drizzle the golden syrup that bakes at the bottom of this casserole over the tender slices of French toast.
- 1 cup packed brown sugar
- 1/2 cup butter, cubed
- 2 tablespoons water
- 1 can (29 ounces) sliced peaches, drained
- 12 slices day-old French bread (3/4 inch thick)
- 5 large eggs
- 1-1/2 cups milk
- 1 tablespoon vanilla extract
- Ground cinnamon
- In a small saucepan, bring the brown sugar, butter and water to a boil. Reduce heat; simmer for 10 minutes, stirring frequently. Pour into a greased 13-in. x 9-in. baking dish; top with peaches. Arrange bread over peaches.
- In a large bowl, whisk the eggs, milk and vanilla; slowly pour over bread. Cover and refrigerate for 8 hours or overnight.
- Remove from the refrigerator 30 minutes before baking. Sprinkle with cinnamon. Cover and bake at 350° for 20 minutes. Uncover; bake 25-30 minutes longer or until a knife inserted near the center of French toast comes out clean. Serve with a spoon. Yield: 6-8 servings.
Originally published as Peach French Toast in Quick Cooking July/August 2001, p14
Reviews for Peach French Toast
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review