- 1 cup water
- 1/2 cup butter, cubed
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 4 large eggs
- 4 medium peaches, peeled and cubed (about 3 cups)
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1/2 cup water
- 1/2 cup peach schnapps liqueur or peach nectar
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- WHIPPED CREAM:
- 2 cups heavy whipping cream
- 1/2 cup confectioners' sugar
- 3 tablespoons peach schnapps liqueur, optional
- Additional confectioners' sugar
- Preheat oven to 400°. In a large saucepan, bring water, butter and salt to a rolling boil. Add flour all at once and beat until blended. Cook over medium heat, stirring vigorously until mixture pulls away from sides of pan and forms a ball. Transfer dough to a large bowl; let stand 5 minutes.
- Add eggs, one at a time, beating well after each addition until smooth. Continue beating until mixture is smooth and shiny.
- Cut a 1/2-in. hole in tip of a pastry bag or in a corner of a food-safe plastic bag. Transfer dough to bag; pipe sixteen 2-in. mounds 3 in. apart onto parchment paper-lined baking sheets.
- Bake on a lower oven rack 25-30 minutes or until puffed, very firm and golden brown. Pierce side of each puff with tip of a knife to allow steam to escape. Cool completely on wire racks.
- Meanwhile, in a large saucepan, combine filling ingredients; bring to a boil, stirring occasionally. Reduce heat; simmer, uncovered, 25-30 minutes or until slightly thickened and peaches are tender. Cool completely.
- In a bowl, beat cream until it begins to thicken. Add confectioners' sugar and, if desired, peach schnapps; beat until soft peaks form.
- Cut top third off each cream puff. Pull out and discard soft dough from inside tops and bottoms.
- To serve, spoon 2 tablespoons whipped cream into each bottom; top with 2 tablespoons filling and 2 tablespoons additional whipped cream. Replace tops. Dust with additional confectioners' sugar. Yield: 16 servings.
Sweet White Wine
Enjoy this recipe with a sweet white wine such as Moscato or a sweet Riesling.
Reviews for Peach Cream Puffs
"They were good, not great. Next time I'd leave out the schnapps in whipped cream. Also made the blueberry zucchini bars that got first place in this issue. I thought that was a far better recipe. I do however, love the process of making puffs!"