Peach-Blueberry French Toast Recipe
Our most-requested dish, this golden brown custard is stuffed with fresh peaches and blueberries. The toast has a crunchy outer crust and soft custard center. My own caramel sauce provides a sinful start to the day.
- 3 tablespoons butter, melted
- 1 loaf (1 pound) French bread, cut into 20 slices
- 3-1/2 cups sliced peeled fresh or frozen peaches
- 1/2 cup fresh or frozen blueberries
- 6 eggs
- 2-1/2 cups 2% milk
- 3/4 cup packed brown sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/2 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup packed brown sugar
- 1/2 cup butter, cubed
- 3 tablespoons corn syrup
- 3 tablespoons heavy whipping cream
- 1. Pour butter into a greased 13-in. x 9-in. baking dish. Top with half of the bread slices. Layer with 2-1/2 cups peaches, 1/4 cup blueberries and remaining bread.
- 2. In a large bowl, whisk the eggs, milk, brown sugar, vanilla, nutmeg and salt; pour over bread. Arrange the remaining peaches and blueberries over top; cover and refrigerate for 2 hours or overnight.
- 3. Remove from the refrigerator 30 minutes before baking. Place brown sugar and butter in a small microwave-safe bowl. Microwave on high for 1 to 1-1/2 minutes or until sugar is dissolved, stirring once. Add corn syrup and cream; cook 1 minute longer or until bubbly, stirring once.
- 4. Drizzle 1/2 cup caramel over top. Bake, uncovered, at 350° for 35-40 minutes or until a knife inserted near the center comes out clean. Let stand for 10 minutes before serving; drizzle with remaining caramel. Yield: 10 servings.
1 piece equals 480 calories, 19 g fat (11 g saturated fat), 171 mg cholesterol, 502 mg sodium, 67 g carbohydrate, 2 g fiber, 12 g protein.
© 2015 RDA Enthusiast Brands, LLC