- 1 cup water
- 1/2 cup quinoa, rinsed
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 2 teaspoons canola oil
- 2 cans (14-1/2 ounces each) reduced-sodium chicken broth or vegetable broth
- 2 packages (10 ounces each) frozen peas
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 2 teaspoons reduced-fat plain yogurt
- In a small saucepan, bring water to a boil. Add quinoa. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 12-15 minutes or until water is absorbed.
- Meanwhile, in a large saucepan, saute onion in oil until tender. Stir in broth and peas. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; simmer, uncovered, for 5 minutes or until peas are tender. Cool slightly.
- In a blender, process soup in batches until smooth. Return all to the pan. Stir in the salt, pepper and quinoa; heat through. Garnish each serving with 1/2 teaspoon yogurt. Yield: 4 servings.
Reviews for Pea Soup with Quinoa
"We have lots of peas from our garden, so I've made this twice already. It's easy to make. I puree the soup in my Champ HP3 blender and it's very good."
"I simmered the onions, broth and some of the peas for hours, then blended them and a batch of cooked peas in the blender and added the Quinoa. It came out very tasty and my family loved it. You want to make sure the soup is slightly thick and not watery. Goes well with cheddar-chive biscuits to dip into soup."
"Not a keeper for us. Can't say we hated it, but can't say we loved it either. This was the first time I've ever had pea soup or quinoa. I'm not sure which part of it I didn't like, or if it was the combination. I'll keep looking for another quinoa recipe."
"I have made this recipe many times and we enjoy it so much. Excellent flavor and so good for you. Making it again right now and added chopped celery and carrots. I do add chicken stock to the quinoa when I cook that also. Recipe is great as is also."
"I tried this with my 3 year old daughter. We both loved it. It looks like green mush so I told her it was Tinkerbell soup since that's what she's into. Once she tried a bite, we were fine."
"I made this last night, and both my 5 year old and husband loved it. I added Hormel low fat bacon bits (2 tablespoons). The quinoa made it very satisfying as a main dish."