- 1/2 pound sliced baby portobello mushrooms, divided
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 1/4 cup chopped onion
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 1/2 cup half-and-half cream
- 3 tablespoons sherry or reduced-sodium chicken broth
- 1 tablespoon minced fresh thyme or 1 teaspoon dried thyme
- 3/4 teaspoon salt, divided
- 5 cups fresh or frozen peas, divided
- 3 cups reduced-sodium chicken broth
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice
- 4-1/2 teaspoons minced fresh basil or 1-1/2 teaspoons dried basil
- Set aside 3 tablespoons mushrooms for garnish. In a large skillet, saute remaining mushrooms in butter until tender.
- Add onion to skillet; saute until tender. Add garlic; cook 1 minute longer. Stir in the cream, sherry, thyme and 1/4 teaspoon salt. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; simmer, uncovered, for 2 minutes. Cool slightly. Transfer to a blender; process until smooth. Set aside.
- In a Dutch oven, combine 4-1/2 cups peas, chicken broth and remaining salt. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; simmer, uncovered, for 4 minutes or until peas are tender. Stir in lemon juice and basil; heat through. Transfer to a blender; process in batches until blended.
- Ladle soup into serving bowls; top with mushroom cream sauce. Garnish with reserved mushrooms and remaining peas. Yield: 6 servings.
Originally published as Pea Soup with Mushroom Cream Sauce in Healthy Cooking April/May 2010, p35
Reviews for Pea Soup with Mushroom Cream Sauce
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review
More Recipe Collections
- Broth Soup Recipes >
- Diabetic Recipes >
- Diabetic Soup Recipes >
- Easter Recipes >
- Healthy Cooking Recipes >
- Healthy Cooking Soup Recipes >
- Healthy Recipes >
- Healthy Soup Recipes >
- Low Fat Recipes >
- Low Fat Soup Recipes >
- Mushroom Recipes >
- Mushroom Soup >
- Mushroom Soup Recipes >
- Pea Recipes >