Pea Soup with Mushroom Cream Sauce Recipe
- 1/2 pound sliced baby portobello mushrooms, divided
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 1/4 cup chopped onion
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 1/2 cup half-and-half cream
- 3 tablespoons sherry or reduced-sodium chicken broth
- 1 tablespoon minced fresh thyme or 1 teaspoon dried thyme
- 3/4 teaspoon salt, divided
- 5 cups fresh or frozen peas, divided
- 3 cups reduced-sodium chicken broth
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice
- 4-1/2 teaspoons minced fresh basil or 1-1/2 teaspoons dried basil
- 1. Set aside 3 tablespoons mushrooms for garnish. In a large skillet, saute remaining mushrooms in butter until tender.
- 2. Add onion to skillet; saute until tender. Add garlic; cook 1 minute longer. Stir in the cream, sherry, thyme and 1/4 teaspoon salt. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; simmer, uncovered, for 2 minutes. Cool slightly. Transfer to a blender; process until smooth. Set aside.
- 3. In a Dutch oven, combine 4-1/2 cups peas, chicken broth and remaining salt. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; simmer, uncovered, for 4 minutes or until peas are tender. Stir in lemon juice and basil; heat through. Transfer to a blender; process in batches until blended.
- 4. Ladle soup into serving bowls; top with mushroom cream sauce. Garnish with reserved mushrooms and remaining peas. Yield: 6 servings.
3/4 cup soup with 2 tablespoons sauce equals 169 calories, 5 g fat (3 g saturated fat), 15 mg cholesterol, 612 mg sodium, 22 g carbohydrate, 7 g fiber, 10 g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 1-1/2 starch, 1 fat.