Pea Soup for a Crowd Recipe
This soup is perfect for busy days because it bakes in the oven for hours with little fuss. I've served it several times with great success to various church groups.
TOTAL TIME: Prep: 30 min. Bake: 5 hours YIELD:26 servings
- 1 pound dried navy beans or yellow split peas
- 3 cups (1-1/2 pounds) dried yellow split peas
- 2 pounds smoked pork shoulder or picnic ham
- 3-1/2 quarts water
- 4 celery ribs, chopped
- 3 large carrots, shredded
- 2 cups chopped onion
- 1-1/4 teaspoons salt
- 1 teaspoon pepper
- 1. Rinse and sort beans. Place in a large Dutch oven; cover with water. Bring to a boil; boil for 2 minutes. Remove from the heat; let stand for 1-4 hours or until beans are softened. Drain beans and discard liquid. Rinse and sort split peas. Place beans in an 8-qt. roaster. Add remaining ingredients.
- 2. Cover and bake at 350° for 5-7 hours or until peas are tender and soup is thick, stirring occasionally. Remove pork; allow to cool. Remove meat from bones and cut into bite-size pieces. Discard bones. Return meat to pan; heat through. Yield: 20-26 servings (6-1/2 quarts).
1 serving (1 cup) equals 223 calories, 6 g fat (2 g saturated fat), 20 mg cholesterol, 529 mg sodium, 28 g carbohydrate, 5 g fiber, 15 g protein.
© 2014 RDA Enthusiast Brands, LLC