- 1 pound dried navy beans or yellow split peas
- 3 cups (1-1/2 pounds) dried yellow split peas
- 2 pounds smoked pork shoulder or picnic ham
- 3-1/2 quarts water
- 4 celery ribs, chopped
- 3 large carrots, shredded
- 2 cups chopped onion
- 1-1/4 teaspoons salt
- 1 teaspoon pepper
- Rinse and sort beans. Place in a large Dutch oven; cover with water. Bring to a boil; boil for 2 minutes. Remove from the heat; let stand for 1-4 hours or until beans are softened. Drain beans and discard liquid. Rinse and sort split peas. Place beans in an 8-qt. roaster. Add remaining ingredients.
- Cover and bake at 350° for 5-7 hours or until peas are tender and soup is thick, stirring occasionally. Remove pork; allow to cool. Remove meat from bones and cut into bite-size pieces. Discard bones. Return meat to pan; heat through. Yield: 20-26 servings (6-1/2 quarts).
Originally published as Pea Soup for a Crowd in Home-Style Soups, Salad and Sandwiches Cookbook 1996, p13
Reviews for Pea Soup for a Crowd
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review