Pea Pod Carrot Medley
We grow pea pods, and I wanted to use them in something other than stir-fries...this fit the bill! I've carried it to church potlucks and received compliments on its pretty orange glaze and fresh taste.
-Josie Smith of Winamac, Indiana
2 ServingsPrep/Total Time: 20 min.
- 1 cup sliced carrots
- 2 cups fresh sugar snap peas
- 1 teaspoon cornstarch
- 1/3 cup orange juice
- 2 teaspoons reduced-sodium soy sauce
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon grated orange peel
- Place carrots in a small saucepan; cover with water. Bring to a boil.
- Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 5 minutes. Add the peas. Cover and
- simmer 2-4 minutes longer or until vegetables are crisp-tender.
- Drain; set aside and keep warm.
- In the same saucepan, whisk the cornstarch and orange juice until
- smooth. Bring to a boil; cook and stir for 2 minutes or until
- thickened. Stir in the soy sauce, orange peel and salt. Pour over
- vegetables; toss to coat. Yield: 2 servings.
Nutritional Facts: One serving (1 cup) equals 100 calories, trace fat (trace saturated fat), 0 cholesterol, 517 mg sodium, 21 g carbohydrate, 6 g fiber, 4 g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 2 vegetable, 1/2 fruit.