Jane Shapton of Irvine, California suggests this sweet showstopper that originates in Australia (see details at right). "Make a meringue nest, fill it with luscious almond cream and top it with fresh fruit," she says.
- 3 egg whites
- 1/4 teaspoon cream of tartar
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 3/4 cup sugar
- 2 cups heavy whipping cream
- 1 teaspoon almond extract
- Assorted fresh fruit
- Place egg whites in a small bowl; let stand at room temperature for 30 minutes. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper; set aside. Add cream of tartar and salt to egg whites; beat on medium speed until soft peaks form. Gradually beat in sugar, 1 tablespoon at a time, on high until stiff peaks form.
- Spread into a 9-in. circle on prepared pan, forming a shallow well in the center. Bake at 225° for 1 to 1-1/4 hours or until set and lightly browned. Turn oven off; leave meringue in oven for 1 to 1-1/2 hours.
- Just before serving, beat cream and almond extract in a small bowl until stiff peaks form. Spoon into meringue shell. Top with fruit. Yield: 8-10 servings.
Originally published as Pavlova in Taste of Home April/May 2005, p50
Reviews for Pavlova with Fresh Fruit
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review