Jane Shapton of Irvine, California suggests this sweet showstopper that originates in Australia (see details at right). "Make a meringue nest, fill it with luscious almond cream and top it with fresh fruit," she says.
8-10 ServingsPrep: 45 min. Bake: 1 hour + standing
- 3 egg whites
- 1/4 teaspoon cream of tartar
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 3/4 cup sugar
- 2 cups heavy whipping cream
- 1 teaspoon almond extract
- Assorted fresh fruit
- Place egg whites in a small bowl; let stand at room temperature for
- 30 minutes. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper; set aside. Add
- cream of tartar and salt to egg whites; beat on medium speed until
- soft peaks form. Gradually beat in sugar, 1 tablespoon at a time, on
- high until stiff peaks form.
- Spread into a 9-in. circle on prepared pan, forming a shallow well in
- the center. Bake at 225° for 1 to 1-1/4 hours or until set and
- lightly browned. Turn oven off; leave meringue in oven for 1 to
- 1-1/2 hours.
- Just before serving, beat cream and almond extract in a small bowl
- until stiff peaks form. Spoon into meringue shell. Top with fruit.
- Yield: 8-10 servings.
Nutritional Facts: 1 serving (1 piece) equals 230 calories, 18 g fat (11 g saturated fat), 65 mg cholesterol, 94 mg sodium,