- 6 bacon strips, diced
- 1 cup sliced fresh mushrooms
- 3 thin onion slices
- 1 egg, lightly beaten
- 1 tablespoon Worcestershire sauce
- 1/2 teaspoon seasoned salt
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon prepared horseradish
- 1 pound ground beef
- 3 slices process American cheese
- 3 hamburger buns, split
- In a large skillet, cook bacon until crisp. Remove with a slotted spoon to paper towels. In the drippings, saute mushrooms and onion until tender. Transfer to a large bowl with a slotted spoon; add bacon.
- In another bowl, combine the egg, Worcestershire sauce, seasoned salt, salt, pepper and horseradish; sprinkle beef over mixture and mix well. Shape into six 1/4-in.-thick patties.
- Divide bacon mixture among three patties. Top with a cheese slice; fold in corners of cheese. Top with remaining patties; seal edges.
- Grill, uncovered, over medium-hot heat for 5-6 minutes a side or until a thermometer reads 160° and meat juices run clear. Serve on buns. Yield: 3 servings.
This recipe pairs well with a full-bodied red wine.
Taste of Home Special Offer: Enjoy this recipe with Mike Ditka "The Coach" Cabernet Sauvignon CA 2011, a full-bodied, big bold cab with all of the dark fruit notes and structure that a great cab needs. Buy now and get 6 bottles, plus free shipping. Order Now
Reviews for Paul Bunyan Burgers
Sort By :
Amazing burger! I used deli American cheese and substituted for turkey bacon instead.
I'm going to give it a 4 rating because looking at the ingredients I can tell it tastes awesome, BUT 797 calories, 55 g fat (22 g saturated fat), 229 mg cholesterol, 1,653 mg sodium????? Holy crap, I can nearly hear my left ventricle slamming shut just THINKING about those numbers.
Wow, these were so good. I used portabello mushrooms and they were so moist and delicious. They were huge, I cut them in 1/2 and they were still a lot to eat.
This is the best new burger recipe we have tried in a long time. I'm not a big fan of mushrooms so we left those out. Great recipe!
While I was making these, I kept thinking, the end result had better be worth it because they are rather time consuming and messy. Just bit into one and yes it was well worth it. They taste amazing. I used sliced baby bella mushrooms because they are meatier and I didn't feel like lighting the grill so I broiled mine on high for 5 minutes each side.