Paul Bunyan Burgers Recipe
- 6 bacon strips, diced
- 1 cup sliced fresh mushrooms
- 3 thin onion slices
- 1 egg, lightly beaten
- 1 tablespoon Worcestershire sauce
- 1/2 teaspoon seasoned salt
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon prepared horseradish
- 1 pound ground beef
- 3 slices process American cheese
- 3 hamburger buns, split
- 1. In a large skillet, cook bacon until crisp. Remove with a slotted spoon to paper towels. In the drippings, saute mushrooms and onion until tender. Transfer to a large bowl with a slotted spoon; add bacon.
- 2. In another bowl, combine the egg, Worcestershire sauce, seasoned salt, salt, pepper and horseradish; sprinkle beef over mixture and mix well. Shape into six 1/4-in.-thick patties.
- 3. Divide bacon mixture among three patties. Top with a cheese slice; fold in corners of cheese. Top with remaining patties; seal edges.
- 4. Grill, uncovered, over medium-hot heat for 5-6 minutes a side or until a thermometer reads 160° and meat juices run clear. Serve on buns. Yield: 3 servings.
1 serving (1 each) equals 797 calories, 55 g fat (22 g saturated fat), 229 mg cholesterol, 1,653 mg sodium, 27 g carbohydrate, 2 g fiber, 46 g protein.
Full-Bodied Red Wine
Enjoy this recipe with a full-bodied red wine such as Cabernet Sauvignon, Merlot or Syrah.