Patty Melts Recipe
- 10 thin slices sweet onion
- 2 tablespoons butter, softened, divided
- 1/2 pound lean ground beef (90% lean)
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 4 slices rye bread
- 2 tablespoons Thousand Island salad dressing
- 2 teaspoons prepared horseradish
- 2 slices process American cheese or Swiss cheese
- 1. In a large nonstick skillet, saute onion in 1 tablespoon butter until tender. Remove and keep warm.
- 2. Shape beef into two oval patties; sprinkle with salt and pepper. In the same skillet, cook patties over medium heat for 3-4 minutes on each side or until a meat thermometer reads 160 and meat juices run clear; drain. Remove and keep warm.
- 3. Spread remaining butter over one side of each slice of bread. Place in skillet, buttered side down, and toast until lightly browned.
- 4. Combine salad dressing and horseradish. On two slices of toast, layer a slice of cheese, a beef patty, half of the onion and dressing mixture. Top with remaining toast. Yield: 2 servings.
1 each: 516 calories, 24g fat (11g saturated fat), 108mg cholesterol, 1278mg sodium, 43g carbohydrate (13g sugars, 5g fiber), 32g protein .
Reviews for Patty Melts
"Excellent! Followed recipe as written."
"Thumbs up on this one! It got the seal of approval from my youngest son and pickiest eater of the family. A nice different way to eat burgers."