Patty Melts Recipe
- 10 thin slices sweet onion
- 2 tablespoons butter, softened, divided
- 1/2 pound lean ground beef (90% lean)
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 4 slices rye bread
- 2 tablespoons Thousand Island salad dressing
- 2 teaspoons prepared horseradish
- 2 slices process American cheese or Swiss cheese
- 1. In a large nonstick skillet, saute onion in 1 tablespoon butter until tender. Remove and keep warm.
- 2. Shape beef into two oval patties; sprinkle with salt and pepper. In the same skillet, cook patties over medium heat for 3-4 minutes on each side or until a meat thermometer reads 160 and meat juices run clear; drain. Remove and keep warm.
- 3. Spread remaining butter over one side of each slice of bread. Place in skillet, buttered side down, and toast until lightly browned.
- 4. Combine salad dressing and horseradish. On two slices of toast, layer a slice of cheese, a beef patty, half of the onion and dressing mixture. Top with remaining toast. Yield: 2 servings.
1 each: 516 calories, 24g fat (11g saturated fat), 108mg cholesterol, 1278mg sodium, 43g carbohydrate (13g sugars, 5g fiber), 32g protein.
Reviews for Patty Melts
"Excellent! Followed recipe as written."
"Thumbs up on this one! It got the seal of approval from my youngest son and pickiest eater of the family. A nice different way to eat burgers."