- 10 thin slices sweet onion
- 2 tablespoons butter, softened, divided
- 1/2 pound lean ground beef (90% lean)
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 4 slices rye bread
- 2 tablespoons Thousand Island salad dressing
- 2 teaspoons prepared horseradish
- 2 slices process American cheese or Swiss cheese
- In a large nonstick skillet, saute onion in 1 tablespoon butter until tender. Remove and keep warm.
- Shape beef into two oval patties; sprinkle with salt and pepper. In the same skillet, cook patties over medium heat for 3-4 minutes on each side or until a meat thermometer reads 160 and meat juices run clear; drain. Remove and keep warm.
- Spread remaining butter over one side of each slice of bread. Place in skillet, buttered side down, and toast until lightly browned.
- Combine salad dressing and horseradish. On two slices of toast, layer a slice of cheese, a beef patty, half of the onion and dressing mixture. Top with remaining toast. Yield: 2 servings.
Originally published as Patty Melts in Cooking for 2 Fall 2007, p21
Reviews for Patty Melts
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review
Sort By :
Reviewed Nov. 29, 2009
"Thumbs up on this one! It got the seal of approval from my youngest son and pickiest eater of the family. A nice different way to eat burgers."