- 1 pound ground beef
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 1-1/2 cups water
- 1 can (6 ounces) tomato paste
- 1 envelope taco seasoning
- 6 cups tortilla or corn chips
- 4 to 5 cups shredded lettuce
- 9 to 10 pitted large olives, sliced lengthwise
- 2 cups (8 ounces) shredded cheddar cheese
- 2 cups cherry tomatoes, halved
- In a large skillet, cook beef and onion over medium heat until meat is no longer pink; drain. Stir in the water, tomato paste and taco seasoning. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; simmer, uncovered, for 20 minutes.
- Place chips in an ungreased 13-in. x 9-in. dish. Spread beef mixture evenly over the top. Cover with lettuce. For each star, arrange five olive slices together in the upper left corner. To form stripes, add cheese and tomatoes in alternating rows. Serve immediately. Yield: 8 servings.
Light-Bodied White Wine
Enjoy this recipe with a light-bodied white wine such as Sauvignon Blanc or Pinot Grigio.
Reviews for Patriotic Taco Salad
"I added a can of refried beans on top of the beef mixture. It was very good. I also used gluten free tortilla chips as I am trying to cut down on my gluten. My guests really enjoyed it. I served it as a light dinner on July 4th as we had already eaten a big amount of food that day."
"Cslowcookjw - you could use black beans instead of the olives. As Kristens198 suggested add a can to the meat mixture, reserving a few to sprinkle in the corner."
"Have not made this yet. Would like to know what I can use rather than olives."
"This was a great idea but I customized it for my cooking style. I added a can of black beans to add more protein and make it a meal. I also put chips on the side instead of the bottom layer. I used taco sauce and salsa instead of taco seasoning and tomato paste. Lastly, I used shredded mozzarella cheese for more red/white effect. It was a crowd favorite!"
"I use a White Cheddar Cheese instead of yellow, also can of slice olives. Serve the chips on the side=^..^= Yummmmmmm"
"This Is SOOOO GOOOD. I will Make This Over and Over Again..."
"see my blog post at http://steaknpotatoeskindagurl.blogspot.com/2011/07/patriotic-taco-salad.html"
"nice and easy and budget friendly, great for a big crowd.."