Patriotic Pizzas Recipe
Here's a pie-in-the-sky-idea—fruit pizzas you decorate like a high-flyin' flag! You can decorate it with stripes for the U.S. or with a maple leaf for Canada. Both designs consist of tangy fruit and smooth cream cheese over a tender crust. Since each version is simple to make, you can quickly create either one for a summer picnic or patriotic party. —Taste of Home Test Kitchen
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/2 cup confectioners' sugar
- 1/2 cup cold butter
- AMERICAN FLAG:
- 2 packages (8 ounces each) cream cheese, softened
- 1 cup sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/2 teaspoon lemon juice
- 2 cups halved fresh strawberries
- 1/2 cup fresh or frozen blueberries
- CANADIAN FLAG:
- 1 package (8 ounces) cream cheese, softened
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/4 teaspoon lemon juice
- 3 cups halved fresh strawberries
- 1. Preheat oven to 325°. In a small bowl, mix flour and confectioners' sugar. Cut in butter until crumbly. Press mixture onto a greased 12-in. pizza pan. Bake 10-15 minutes or until crust is lightly browned. Let cool.
- 2. To make an American flag, in a small bowl, beat cream cheese and sugar. Add vanilla and lemon juice, mixing until smooth. Spread 1 cup cream cheese mixture over crust. Set remaining cream cheese mixture aside.
- 3. Referring to the photo for position, arrange rows of strawberries on top of pizza to create the red stripes of a flag. Place blueberries in the upper left corner.
- 4. Cut a small hole in the tip of a food-safe plastic bag; insert a #21 star pastry tip. Fill bag with reserved cream cheese mixture. For white stripes, pipe a zigzag pattern between the rows of strawberries.
- 5. To make a Canadian flag, in a small bowl, beat cream cheese and sugar. Add vanilla and lemon juice, mixing until smooth. Spread 3/4 cup cream cheese mixture over crust. Set remaining mixture aside.
- 6. Arrange strawberries in the shape of a maple leaf on top of the pizza.
- 7. Cut a small hole in the tip of a food-safe plastic bag; insert a #5 round pastry tip. Fill bag with reserved cream cheese mixture. Pipe veins on maple leaf. Yield: 1 pizza.
© 2015 RDA Enthusiast Brands, LLC