Patriotic Gelatin Salad Recipe
- 2 packages (3 ounces each) berry blue gelatin
- 2 packages (3 ounces each) strawberry gelatin
- 4 cups boiling water, divided
- 2-1/2 cups cold water, divided
- 2 envelopes unflavored gelatin
- 2 cups milk
- 1 cup sugar
- 2 cups (16 ounces) sour cream
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- In four separate bowls, dissolve each package of gelatin in 1 cup boiling water. Add 1/2 cup cold water to each and stir. Pour one bowl of blue gelatin into a 10-in. fluted tube pan coated with cooking spray; chill until almost set, about 30 minutes.
- Set other three bowls of gelatin aside at room temperature. Soften unflavored gelatin in remaining cold water; let stand 5 minutes.
- Heat milk in a saucepan over medium heat just below boiling. Stir in softened gelatin and sugar until sugar is dissolved. Remove from heat; stir in sour cream and vanilla until smooth. When blue gelatin in pan in almost set, carefully spoon 1-1/2 cups sour cream mixture over it. Chill until almost set, about 30 minutes.
- Carefully spoon one bowl of strawberry gelatin over cream layer. Chill until almost set. Carefully spoon 1-1/2 cups cream mixture over the strawberry layer. Chill until almost set. Repeat, adding layers of blue gelatin, cream mixture and strawberry gelatin, chilling in between each. Chill several hours or overnight. Yield: 16 servings.
Reviews for Patriotic Gelatin Salad(33)
Sort By :
just anote also i enjoyed making the gelantin would do it again.
why would the top part of the gelantin fall after cutting 4 slices
This recipe is impressive, yet old fashioned & fun. I have a big military family so this was a hit!
It was very delicious and showy. I made it for the 4th of July pig roast and everyone loved it. Didn't start it until the morning of but it set up beautifully and ready to eat by 5:00. I did substitute 8 ounces cream cheese for one cup of sour cream and it turned out great. Each layer set up nice and fairly quickly. Put blueberries, raspberries and black raspberries in the middle. Lot of fun to made and I plan on using different flavors for different seasons.
Showy! Made this for years, everyone likes.
More Recipe Collections
- All Taste of Home Magazine Recipes >
- Comfort Food Recipes >
- Comfort Food Salad Recipes >
- Diabetic Recipes >
- Diabetic Salad Recipes >
- Jello Salad Recipes >
- July 4th Recipes >
- July 4th Salad Recipes >
- Labor Day Recipes >
- Labor Day Salad Recipes >
- Low Carb Recipes >
- Low Carb Salads >
- Low Fat Recipes >
- Low Fat Salad Recipes >
- Low Sodium Recipes >
- Low Sodium Salads >