- 2 packages (3 ounces each) berry blue gelatin
- 2 packages (3 ounces each) strawberry gelatin
- 4 cups boiling water, divided
- 2-1/2 cups cold water, divided
- 2 envelopes unflavored gelatin
- 2 cups milk
- 1 cup sugar
- 2 cups (16 ounces) sour cream
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- In four separate bowls, dissolve each package of gelatin in 1 cup boiling water. Add 1/2 cup cold water to each and stir. Pour one bowl of blue gelatin into a 10-in. fluted tube pan coated with cooking spray; chill until almost set, about 30 minutes.
- Set other three bowls of gelatin aside at room temperature. Soften unflavored gelatin in remaining cold water; let stand 5 minutes.
- Heat milk in a saucepan over medium heat just below boiling. Stir in softened gelatin and sugar until sugar is dissolved. Remove from heat; stir in sour cream and vanilla until smooth. When blue gelatin in pan in almost set, carefully spoon 1-1/2 cups sour cream mixture over it. Chill until almost set, about 30 minutes.
- Carefully spoon one bowl of strawberry gelatin over cream layer. Chill until almost set. Carefully spoon 1-1/2 cups cream mixture over the strawberry layer. Chill until almost set. Repeat, adding layers of blue gelatin, cream mixture and strawberry gelatin, chilling in between each. Chill several hours or overnight. Yield: 16 servings.
Reviews for Patriotic Gelatin Salad
"Made exactly as written (except I added strawberries and blueberries) and came out looking just like the picture! Can't believe I had no problems getting it out of the pan. It does take awhile to make. The first layer took the longest because it was still very hot. By the time I got to the last layer, it had almost set in the bowl before I had a chance to add it."
"I followed the directions exactly as written - very easy - very pretty - very tasty! it is a great dessert to make. Cant wait to try it with other colors for other holidays."
"This is a fantastic salad. Everyone was very impressed by the appearance and refreshing flavors. I put a mixture of fresh strawberry, blueberries, and sweet flaked coconut in the middle of the salad."
"Also works at Christmas using green, red and white"
"love this recipe. i make it all the time. but i use different flavor gelatin. jolly ranch makes gelatin now and the flvor is better then jello"