Patriotic Cupcakes Recipe
These festive cupcakes are sure to be the star of your Fourth of July menu. I divided the batter from regular cupcakes into portions and used food coloring to make red, white and blue treats. Our kids loved helping prepare them. —Jodi Rugg, Aurora, Illinois
TOTAL TIME: Prep: 15 min. Bake: 20 min. + cooling YIELD:18 servings
- 1 package white cake mix (regular size)
- 1/2 teaspoon blue food coloring
- 1/2 teaspoon red food coloring
- 1 can (16 ounces) vanilla frosting
- Red, white and blue sprinkles
- 1. Prepare cake mix batter according to package directions for cupcakes.
- 2. In a small bowl, combine 1-1/3 cups batter and blue food coloring. In another bowl, combine 1-1/3 cups batter and red food coloring. Leave remaining batter plain.
- 3. Fill paper-lined muffin cups with 2 tablespoons red batter, 2 tablespoons plain batter and 2 tablespoons blue batter. Bake at 350° for 20-24 minutes or until a toothpick inserted near the center comes out clean. Cool for 10 minutes before removing from pans to wire racks to cool completely. Frost with vanilla frosting; decorate with sprinkles. Yield: 1-1/2 dozen.
© 2014 RDA Enthusiast Brands, LLC