Patriotic Cupcake Cones Recipe
Young and old alike will get a kick out of our cute cupcakes. The red colored cake and white frosting make them a perfect patriotic treat. —Taste of Home Test Kitchen
TOTAL TIME: Prep: 40 min. Bake: 20 min. + cooling YIELD:24 servings
- 1/2 cup shortening
- 1-1/2 cups sugar
- 2 eggs
- 1 bottle (1 ounce) red food coloring
- 3 teaspoons white vinegar
- 1 teaspoon butter flavoring
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2-1/2 cups cake flour
- 1/4 cup baking cocoa
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup buttermilk
- 24 ice cream cake cones (about 3 inches tall)
- 1-1/2 cups shortening
- 1-1/2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 6 cups confectioners' sugar
- 4 to 5 tablespoons milk
- Blue jimmies
- 1. In a large bowl, cream shortening and sugar until light and fluffy. Add eggs, one at a time, beating well after each addition. Beat in the food coloring, vinegar, butter flavoring and vanilla. Combine the flour, cocoa, baking soda and salt; add to the creamed mixture alternately with buttermilk, beating well after each addition. Pour batter into each cake cone to within 3/4 in. of the top. Place in ungreased muffin cups.
- 2. Bake at 350° for 20-25 minutes or until a toothpick inserted near the center comes out clean. Cool completely.
- 3. In a large bowl, beat shortening and vanilla until fluffy; gradually add confectioners' sugar and beat until smooth. Add enough milk to achieve spreading consistency.
- 4. Cut a small hole in the corner of plastic bag; insert a large star tip. Fill the bag with frosting. Pipe onto cupcakes. Sprinkle with jimmies. Yield: 2 dozen.
1 filled cone equals 396 calories, 17 g fat (4 g saturated fat), 18 mg cholesterol, 175 mg sodium, 58 g carbohydrate, 1 g fiber, 3 g protein.
© 2014 RDA Enthusiast Brands, LLC