Patriotic Cookie Bouquets
Celebrate the Fourth of July or other patriotic holidays with a festive cookies display. We cut shapes from fast-to-fix homemade cookie dough, put wooden dowels between pairs of cutouts and arranged the baked cookies in a container.—Taste of Home Test Kitchen, Greendale, Wisconsin
18 ServingsPrep: 20 min. + chilling Bake: 10 min.
- 3/4 cup butter, softened
- 1 cup sugar
- 1 egg
- 1 tablespoon milk
- 2-1/4 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon apple pie spice
- 1 teaspoon McCormick® Pure Vanilla Extract
- 4 cups confectioners' sugar
- 1/2 cup light corn syrup
- 2 to 4 tablespoons water
- Red and blue gel food coloring
- In a large bowl, cream butter and sugar. Beat in egg and milk.
- Combine the flour, baking powder and salt, then gradually add to the
- creamed mixture. Beat in apple pie spice and vanilla. Cover and
- refrigerate dough for 2 hours or until easy to handle.
- Roll out dough to a 1/4-in. thickness. With star cookie cutters, cut
- out shapes. Place only five or six shapes on an ungreased baking
- sheet. Place a dowel piece on top of each shape so that at least
- 1-1/2 in. of dowel is on top of shape, leaving the rest of dowel
- extended for handle. Top each dough shape with a matching shape.