This impressive cake makes for a pretty presentation on a picnic table. It conveniently starts with a boxed cake mix, then is topped with a sweet homemade frosting.Glenda Jarboe, Oroville,
12-14 ServingsPrep: 20 min. Bake: 20 min. + cooling
- 1 package white cake mix (regular size)
- 1 cup shortening
- 1 package (2 pounds) confectioners' sugar
- 1/2 cup water
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- Blue and red food coloring
- Prepare and bake cake according to package directions, using two
- greased 9-in. round baking pans. Cool for 10 minutes before removing
- from pans to wire racks.
- For frosting, in a large bowl, cream the shortening and sugar
- until light and fluffy. Beat in the water, salt and vanilla until
- smooth. Place one cake on a serving plate; spread with 2/3 cup
- frosting. Top with remaining cake.
- In a small bowl, combine 2/3 cup frosting and blue food coloring. In
- another bowl, combine 1-1/2 cups frosting and red food coloring.
- Fill pastry or plastic bag with 1/4 cup white frosting; cut a small
- hole in the corner of the bag and set aside.
- Frost cake top and sides with remaining white frosting. With blue
- frosting, frost a 3-in. section in the upper left corner of the
- cake. Pipe white stars over blue frosting. Fill another pastry or