This impressive cake makes for a pretty presentation on a picnic table. It conveniently starts with a boxed cake mix, then is topped with a sweet homemade frosting.—Glenda Jarboe, Oroville,
- 1 package white cake mix (regular size)
- 1 cup shortening
- 1 package (2 pounds) confectioners' sugar
- 1/2 cup water
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- Blue and red food coloring
- Prepare and bake cake according to package directions, using two greased 9-in. round baking pans. Cool for 10 minutes before removing from pans to wire racks.
- For frosting, in a large bowl, cream the shortening and sugar
- until light and fluffy. Beat in the water, salt and vanilla until smooth. Place one cake on a serving plate; spread with 2/3 cup frosting. Top with remaining cake.
- In a small bowl, combine 2/3 cup frosting and blue food coloring. In another bowl, combine 1-1/2 cups frosting and red food coloring. Fill pastry or plastic bag with 1/4 cup white frosting; cut a small hole in the corner of the bag and set aside.
- Frost cake top and sides with remaining white frosting. With blue frosting, frost a 3-in. section in the upper left corner of the cake. Pipe white stars over blue frosting. Fill another pastry or plastic bag with red frosting; cut a large hole in the corner of the bag. Pipe stripes across top of cake. Yield: 12-14 servings.
Originally published as Flag Cake in Taste of Home's Holiday & Celebrations Cookbook Annual 2002, p207
Reviews for Patriotic Cake
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review