- 1/3 cup sugar
- 1 tablespoon cornstarch
- 1 to 1-1/2 teaspoons ground mustard
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon celery seed
- 1/2 cup milk
- 1/4 cup vinegar
- 1 egg, beaten
- 1/4 cup butter, cubed
- 1/4 cup chopped onion
- 1/4 cup mayonnaise
- 7 medium red potatoes, cubed and cooked
- 3 hard-cooked eggs, chopped
- Lettuce leaves and paprika, optional
- In a saucepan, combine sugar, cornstarch, mustard, salt and celery seed. Stir in the milk, vinegar and egg until smooth. Add butter. Bring to a boil; cook and stir for 2 minutes or until thickened and bubbly. Cool. Stir in onion and mayonnaise. In a large bowl, combine potatoes and hard-cooked eggs. Add dressing and toss gently to coat. Cover and refrigerate for at least 1 hour. If desired, serve in a lettuce-lined bowl and sprinkle with paprika. Yield: 8-10 servings.
Reviews for Patio Potato Salad
Sort By :
"My favorite potato salad! I would like to try it with substituting with balsamic vinegar as suggested by a previous reviewer."
"I make this all summer long. Forgot the butter once and it was still awesome."
"I make this all the time. Everyone who tastes it, expecting the usual potato salad, pauses and says something like, "Ohhhh this is really good potato salad!" I've made it exactly as written and I've subbed balsamic vinegar for the regular vinegar. Always a good result. Easy and DELICIOUS!!!"
"I just made this potato salad for a party. I have been looking for a great potato salad for a long time. This recipe is now my favorite! It is a little on the sweet side. I may add less sugar next time. I added the pepper, fresh dill weed and celery. It was even better the day after I made it. This is the best potato salad!!"
"Great recipe I usually add 1/4 cup chopped celery, 1/2 teaspoon dill weed, and 1/4 teaspoon black pepper. You don't have to add these things to have a great salad though. I always get rave reviews for this recipe."