Patchwork Rice Pilaf Recipe
Colorful and versatile, this side dish is always popular at a picnic, potluck or special dinner. The apples bring a subtle sweetness to the rice. This pilaf goes well with a variety of main dish meats and always disappears quickly.
- 4 celery ribs, chopped
- 2 large onions, chopped
- 4 medium carrots, chopped
- 1 large green pepper, chopped
- 1/4 cup butter, cubed
- 2 medium tart red apples, chopped
- 2 cups sliced fresh mushrooms
- 2 packages (6.2 ounces each) fast-cooking long grain and wild rice mix
- 2 cans (10-1/2 ounces each) condensed chicken broth, undiluted
- 1-1/2 cups water
- 1/2 cup slivered almonds
- In a large skillet or saucepan, saute the celery, onions, carrots and green pepper in butter until crisp-tender. Add the apples and mushrooms; saute for 2 minutes. Stir in the rice, contents of seasoning packets, broth and water; bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer according to rice package directions or until rice is tender and liquid is absorbed. Sprinkle with almonds. Yield: 12 servings.
Originally published as Patchwork Rice Pilaf in Country Woman January/February 2001, p33
Reviews for Patchwork Rice Pilaf(0)
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review