Pastry for Double-Crust Pie
This is the recipe we use in the Test Kitchen when we test readers' pie recipes tat don't include a specific recipe for the pastry. Janet Briggs
6-8 ServingsPrep/Total Time: 15 min.
- 2 cups King Arthur Unbleached All-Purpose Flour
- 3/4 teaspoon salt
- 2/3 cup shortening
- 6 to 7 tablespoons cold water
- In a large bowl, combine flour and salt; cut in the shortening until
- crumbly. Gradually add water, tossing with a fork until dough forms
- a ball. Divide dough in half so that one ball is slightly larger
- than the other. Roll out larger ball to fit a 9-in. x 10-in. pie
- Transfer pastry to pie plate. Trim pastry even with edge. Pour
- desired filling into crust. Roll out second ball; cut slits in
- pastry. Position over filling. Trim pastry to 1 in. beyond edge of
- pie plate. Fold top crust over bottom crust. Flute edges. Bake
- according to recipe directions. Yield: Pastry for double-crust pie
- (9 or 10 inches).
Nutritional Facts: 1 serving (1 each) equals 260 calories, 16 g fat (4 g saturated fat), 0 cholesterol, 222 mg sodium, 24 g carbohydrate, 1 g fiber, 3 g protein.