Pastry for Classic Single-Crust Pie
If you want to try your hand at making pie pastry from scratch, give this traditional recipe from our Test Kitchen a try.
6-8 ServingsPrep/Total Time: 30 min.
- 1-1/4 cups King Arthur Unbleached All-Purpose Flour
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/3 cup shortening
- 4 to 5 tablespoons cold water
- In a bowl, combine flour and salt; cut in shortening until crumbly.
- Gradually add water, tossing with a fork until dough forms a ball.
- Roll out to fit a 9-in. or 10-in pie plate.
- Transfer pastry to pie plate. Trim pastry to 1/2 in. beyond the edge
- of plate; flute edges. Fill or bake shell according to recipe
- directions. Yield: 1 pastry shell (9 or 10 inches).
Nutritional Facts: 1 serving (1 piece) equals 144 calories, 8 g fat (2 g saturated fat), 0 cholesterol, 148 mg sodium, 15 g carbohydrate, 1 g fiber, 2 g protein.