Pastry Crust Mix Recipe
You can turn out a finished pie crust in a matter of minutes using this Basic Pastry Mix. With several flavors of crust to choose from, you're sure to find one that's a hit at your house!Katie Koziolek, Hartland, Minnesota
- 6 cups King Arthur Unbleached All-Purpose Flour
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 2-1/3 cups shortening
- In a large bowl, combine flour and salt. Cut in half of the shortening until the mixture resembles coarse crumbs. Cut in remaining shortening. Place in an airtight container and store in the refrigerator for up to 6 weeks. Yield: 8 cups.
- For Double Crust: Place 2 to 2-3/4 cups Basic Pastry Mix in a medium bowl. With a fork, gently mix in 4 to 6 tablespoons cold water to moisten dry ingredients. Form into a ball. For ease of handling, wrap and chill until ready use. Divide dough in half so that one ball is slightly larger than the other. Roll out larger ball to fit a 9-in. to 10-in. pie plate. Trim pastry even with edge. Fill crust with desired filling. Roll out remaining pastry to fit top of pie. Place over filling. Trim, seal and flute edges. Cut slits in pastry. Bake according to recipe directions. Yield: pastry for double-crust pie (9 or 10 in.)
- For single crust: Place 1-1/4 to 1-3/4 cups Basic Pastry Mix in a large bowl. Gradually add 2 to 4 tablespoons cold water, tossing with a fork until dough forms a ball. Cover and refrigerate for 30 minutes if desired. Roll out pastry to fit a 9-in. to 10-in. pie plate. Transfer pastry to pie plate. Trim pastry to 1/2 in. beyond edge of pie plate; flute edges. Fill or bake shell according to recipe directions. Or bake without filling at 400° for 10 minutes or until the pastry is light golden brown. Yield: Pastry for single-crust pie (9 or 10 in.)
- Spicy Pastry: Prepare as directed above for a single-crust pie, except mix 1-1/2 cups Basic Pastry Mix with 1 teaspoon pumpkin pie spice. Add 1 tablespoon light molasses and 1 to 3 tablespoons cold water until dough forms a ball. Yield: pastry for single-crust pie (9 or 10 in.)
- Chocolate Pastry: Prepare as directed above for a single-crust pie, except mix 1-1/2 cups Basic Pastry Mix with 2 tablespoons chocolate drink mix. Add 2 to 3 tablespoons cold water until dough forms a ball. Yield: Pastry for single-crust pie (9 or 10 in.).
- Basic Pastry Mix may be used to prepare the following recipes (also found in Recipe Finder): To Make Pie Pastry, Spicy Pastry and Chocolate Pastry. Yield: 8 cups.
Originally published as Basic Pastry Mix in Taste of Home Baking Book 2007, p205
Reviews for Pastry Crust Mix(0)
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review
More Recipe Collections
- Christmas Desserts >
- Christmas Recipes >
- Comfort Food Desserts >
- Comfort Food Recipes >
- Desserts >
- Easter Desserts >
- Easter Recipes >
- Easy Christmas Recipes >
- Easy Dessert Recipes >
- Easy Recipes >
- Father's Day Recipes >
- Homemade Pie Crust >
- Pie Baking >
- Pie Crust Recipes >