Pastry Chicken a la King Recipe
- 1 package (10 ounces) frozen puff pastry shells
- 3 tablespoons butter
- 1 cup sliced fresh mushrooms
- 1 medium sweet red pepper, finely chopped
- 1 celery rib, finely chopped
- 1 small onion, finely chopped
- 3 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 2 cups 2% milk
- 2 egg yolks
- 2 tablespoons heavy whipping cream
- 1/4 teaspoon lemon juice
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon paprika
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 2 cups cubed cooked chicken
- 1 cup frozen petite peas
- 1. Bake pastry shells according to package directions.
- 2. Meanwhile, in a large skillet, heat butter over medium-high heat. Add mushrooms, red pepper, celery and onion; cook and stir until tender. Stir in flour until blended; gradually add milk. Bring to a boil; cook and stir 2 minutes or until thickened.
- 3. In a small bowl, mix egg yolks and cream. Stir a small amount of hot mixture into egg yolk mixture; return all to pan, stirring constantly. Add lemon juice, salt, paprika and pepper; cook and stir over low heat for 2 minutes or until thickened. Add chicken and peas; heat through. Serve over pastry shells. Yield: 6 servings.
1 shell with 3/4 cup filling: 452 calories, 27g fat (11g saturated fat), 138mg cholesterol, 588mg sodium, 30g carbohydrate (9g sugars, 3g fiber), 24g protein
Reviews for Pastry Chicken a la King
"My husband liked it, I didn't - too fussy and the flavor was bland. Not terrible, but not worth making again."
Full-Bodied White Wine
Enjoy this recipe with a full-bodied white wine such as Chardonnay or Viognier.