- 1 package (10 ounces) frozen puff pastry shells
- 3 tablespoons butter
- 1 cup sliced fresh mushrooms
- 1 medium sweet red pepper, finely chopped
- 1 celery rib, finely chopped
- 1 small onion, finely chopped
- 3 tablespoons King Arthur Unbleached All-Purpose Flour
- 2 cups 2% milk
- 2 egg yolks
- 2 tablespoons heavy whipping cream
- 1/4 teaspoon lemon juice
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon paprika
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 2 cups cubed cooked chicken
- 1 cup frozen petite peas
- Bake pastry shells according to package directions.
- Meanwhile, in a large skillet, heat butter over medium-high heat. Add mushrooms, red pepper, celery and onion; cook and stir until tender. Stir in flour until blended; gradually add milk. Bring to a boil; cook and stir 2 minutes or until thickened.
- In a small bowl, mix egg yolks and cream. Stir a small amount of hot mixture into egg yolk mixture; return all to pan, stirring constantly. Add lemon juice, salt, paprika and pepper; cook and stir over low heat for 2 minutes or until thickened. Add chicken and peas; heat through. Serve over pastry shells. Yield: 6 servings.
Originally published as Pastry Chicken a la King in Taste of Home
Enjoy this recipe with a full-bodied white wine such as Chardonnay or Viognier.
Reviews for Pastry Chicken a la King(1)
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review
Sort By :
Reviewed Mar. 19, 2013
My husband liked it, I didn't - too fussy and the flavor was bland. Not terrible, but not worth making again.
More Recipe Collections
- All Taste of Home Magazine Recipes >
- Baked Chicken >
- Chicken Dinner Recipes >
- Chicken Main Dishes >
- Chicken Recipes >
- Comfort Food Dinner Recipes >
- Comfort Food Recipes >
- Dinner Recipes >
- Mushroom Main Dish Recipes >
- Mushroom Recipes >