- 1 package (7 ounces) uncooked elbow macaroni
- 1 pound ground beef or lamb
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 1 can (8 ounces) tomato sauce
- 1 teaspoon salt, divided
- 1/4 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1/8 teaspoon pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon, optional
- 1/2 cup grated Parmesan cheese, divided
- 3 tablespoons butter
- 3 tablespoons King Arthur Unbleached All-Purpose Flour
- 1-1/2 cups 2% milk
- 1 egg, lightly beaten
- Cook macaroni according to package directions. Meanwhile, in a large skillet, cook beef and onion over medium heat until meat is no longer pink. Add garlic; cook 1 minute longer. Drain. Stir in the tomato sauce, 1/2 teaspoon salt, oregano, pepper and, if desired, cinnamon; heat through.
- Drain macaroni; place half of macaroni in a greased 9-in.-square baking pan. Sprinkle with 1/4 cup cheese. Layer with meat mixture and remaining macaroni. Set aside.
- Preheat oven to 350°. In a small saucepan, melt butter; stir in flour and remaining salt until smooth. Gradually add milk. Bring to a boil; cook and stir 2 minutes or until thickened.
- Remove from the heat. Stir a small amount of the hot mixture into egg; return all to the pan, stirring constantly. Bring to a gentle boil; cook and stir 2 minutes. Remove from heat; stir in remaining cheese. Pour sauce over macaroni.
- Bake, uncovered, 30-35 minutes or until golden brown. Let stand 10 minutes before serving. Yield: 4 servings.
Enjoy this recipe with a medium-bodied red wine such as Chianti, Sangiovese, Malbec or Zinfandel.
Reviews for Pastitsio(28)
Sort By :
I liked this meal, it was very satisfying.
My husband loved this dish, so i am giving it 5 stars!
Excellent recipe. I love this dish anyway and was looking for an easy recipe. This one fits the bill. Definitely a favorite. The only thing I did differently was used Kasseri, a Greek cheese, in place of the Parmesan because I had some on-hand.
I have made this several times. Total 5 star. I am now on the Maximized Living eating plan and I am going to make this and substitute zuchinni strips for the pasta.
My husband and I made this. Delicious! We used a whole bulb of garlic and melted some mozzarella on top.
More Recipe Collections
- All Taste of Home Magazine Recipes >
- Baked Pasta >
- Beef Casserole Recipes >
- Beef Casseroles >
- Beef Dinner Recipes >
- Beef Main Dishes >
- Beef Recipes >
- Budget Ground Beef Recipes >
- Casseroles >
- Cheese Recipes >
- Dinner Recipes >
- Greek Dinner Recipes >
- Greek Recipes >
- Ground Beef Casserole Recipes >
- Ground Beef Dinner Recipes >
- Ground Beef Recipes >