- 1 package (7 ounces) uncooked elbow macaroni
- 1 pound ground beef or lamb
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 1 can (8 ounces) tomato sauce
- 1 teaspoon salt, divided
- 1/4 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1/8 teaspoon pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon, optional
- 1/2 cup grated Parmesan cheese, divided
- 3 tablespoons butter
- 3 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1-1/2 cups 2% milk
- 1 egg, lightly beaten
- Cook macaroni according to package directions. Meanwhile, in a large skillet, cook beef and onion over medium heat until meat is no longer pink. Add garlic; cook 1 minute longer. Drain. Stir in the tomato sauce, 1/2 teaspoon salt, oregano, pepper and, if desired, cinnamon; heat through.
- Drain macaroni; place half of macaroni in a greased 9-in.-square baking pan. Sprinkle with 1/4 cup cheese. Layer with meat mixture and remaining macaroni. Set aside.
- Preheat oven to 350°. In a small saucepan, melt butter; stir in flour and remaining salt until smooth. Gradually add milk. Bring to a boil; cook and stir 2 minutes or until thickened.
- Remove from the heat. Stir a small amount of the hot mixture into egg; return all to the pan, stirring constantly. Bring to a gentle boil; cook and stir 2 minutes. Remove from heat; stir in remaining cheese. Pour sauce over macaroni.
- Bake, uncovered, 30-35 minutes or until golden brown. Let stand 10 minutes before serving. Yield: 4 servings.
Medium-Bodied Red Wine
Enjoy this recipe with a medium-bodied red wine such as Chianti, Sangiovese, Malbec or Zinfandel.
Reviews for Pastitsio
Sort By :
"Followed the recipe exactly. Did not add the cinnamon as it was optional.I used ground lamb when I realized it was a Greek dish. My husband said he couldn't taste the onions ( I used a large onion because thats all I had) so it should have been enough, also we couldn't taste the garlic or Oregano. My sauce was too thick but didn't know how thick it should have been. Maybe if the sauce was thinner allowing it to spread down into the dish before baking it would have tasted better, but who knows. It was edible but not memorable."
"Good stuff! This is a yummy comfort food!"
"The whole family loved it! That is worth a 5 star review at our house!"
"I liked this meal, it was very satisfying."
"My husband loved this dish, so i am giving it 5 stars!"