Pasticho (Venezuelan Lasagna) Recipe
Since I was a child knew my passion was to cook and I would invent new dishes. I sampled a lasagna at a local restaurant in Venezuela and I re-created at home. My father fell in love with the rich, creamy layer that complimented the tomato meat sauce in my pasticho.
- 1 pound ground turkey or beef
- 1 pound ground pork
- 1 large Spanish onion, finely chopped
- 1 celery rib, finely chopped
- 1 small carrot, shredded
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 4 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 cans (28 ounces each) whole tomatoes with basil, undrained
- 1 can (29 ounces) tomato puree
- 1 bay leaf
- 1 teaspoon salt
- MUSHROOM SAUCE:
- 2-1/4 cups sliced baby portobello mushrooms
- 1/3 cup butter, cubed
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 6 cups heavy whipping cream
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1-1/4 cups shredded Parmesan cheese
- 3 packages (9 ounces each) no-cook lasagna noodles
- 7 cups (28 ounces) shredded part-skim mozzarella cheese
- 2 cups shredded Parmesan cheese
- In a Dutch oven, cook the beef, pork, onion, celery and carrot in oil over medium heat until meat is no longer pink. Add garlic; cook 1 minute longer. Drain. Stir in the tomatoes, tomato puree, bay leaf and salt. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; simmer, uncovered, for 1 hour.
- Meanwhile, in a Dutch oven, saute mushrooms in butter and oil until tender. Add the cream, salt and pepper. Bring to a boil. Stir in Parmesan cheese; cook and stir for 20-25 minutes or until thickened.
- Discard bay leaf from meat sauce. Spread 1-1/4 cups meat sauce into a greased 4-qt. baking dish. Top with six noodles. Layer with 1-3/4 cups meat sauce, 1 cup mozzarella cheese, six noodles, 1-1/4 cups mushroom sauce, 1/3 cup Parmesan cheese and 1/2 cup mozzarella cheese. Repeat layers three times. Top with remaining noodles, meat sauce, mushroom sauce, mozzarella cheese and Parmesan cheese (dish will be full).
- Cover and bake at 400° for 20 minutes. Uncover; bake 15-20 minutes longer or until golden brown and bubbly. Let stand for 10 minutes before cutting. Yield: 20 servings.
Originally published as Pasticho (Venezuelan Lasagna) in Taste of Home Christmas Annual Annual 2012, p76
Light-Bodied Red Wine
Enjoy this recipe with a light-bodied red wine such as Pinot Noir.
Reviews for Pasticho (Venezuelan Lasagna)
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review
More Recipe Collections
- Baked Pasta >
- Baking Recipes >
- Beef Dinner Recipes >
- Beef Main Dishes >
- Beef Recipes >
- Budget Ground Beef Recipes >
- Carrot Recipes >
- Cheese Recipes >
- Christmas Dinner Recipes >
- Christmas Main Dish Recipes >
- Christmas Recipes >
- Dinner Recipes >
- Ground Beef Dinner Recipes >
- Ground Beef Lasagna Recipes >
- Ground Beef Recipes >
- Italian Dinners >
- Italian Recipes >
- Lasagna Dinners >
- Lasagna Recipes >
- Mushroom Main Dish Recipes >