Pastel Tea Cookies Recipe
- 1 cup butter, softened
- 2/3 cup sugar
- 1 large egg
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2-1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1-1/4 cups confectioners' sugar
- 2 teaspoons meringue powder
- 5 teaspoons water
- Pastel food coloring
- 1. In a large bowl, cream butter and sugar until light and fluffy. Beat in egg and vanilla. Combine flour and salt; gradually add to creamed mixture. Cover and refrigerate 1-2 hours or until dough is easy to handle.
- 2. Preheat oven to 350°. On a lightly floured surface, roll out dough to 1/8-in. thickness. Cut with floured 2-1/2-in. butterfly or flower cookie cutters. Place 1 in. apart on ungreased baking sheets.
- 3. Bake 8-10 minutes or until edges are lightly browned. Remove to wire racks to cool.
- 4. For glaze, in a small bowl, combine confectioners' sugar and meringue powder; stir in water until smooth. Divide among small bowls; tint pastel colors. Spread over cookies; let stand until set. Yield: 4 dozen.
1 each: 82 calories, 4g fat (2g saturated fat), 14mg cholesterol, 54mg sodium, 11g carbohydrate (6g sugars, 0 fiber), 1g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 1 starch, 1/2 fat.
Reviews for Pastel Tea Cookies
"I have made these cookies several times and they are always a hit, the only thing I change is substituting some of the water in the icing with flavoring, such as almond, cherry or orange, depending on the flavor I am looking for and the color I am making the icing."