Pastel Four-Layer Cake
Bryan Anderson of Granite Falls, Minnesota recalls, "My mother made this special birthday cake for me and my sister as we were growing up. It looks as good as it tastes and it easier to make than you would think."
12 ServingsPrep: 30 min. Bake: 20 min.
- 1 package chocolate cake mix (regular size)
- 3 tablespoons King Arthur Unbleached All-Purpose Flour
- Pinch salt
- 1-1/2 cups milk
- 3/4 cup butter, softened
- 3/4 cup shortening
- 1-1/2 cups sugar
- Yellow, red and green liquid food coloring
- 1/4 teaspoon each lemon, peppermint, almond and vanilla extract
- 3 tablespoons baking cocoa
- Prepare and bake cake according to the package directions, using two
- greased and floured 9-in. round baking pans. Cool in pans for 10
- minutes before removing to wire racks to cool completely.
- In small saucepan, combine flour and salt. Gradually add milk. Bring
- to a boil; cook and stir over medium-high heat for 2 minutes or
- until thickened. Remove from the heat; cover and refrigerate until
- cooled completely.
- In a large bowl, cream the butter, shortening, and sugar until light
- and fluffy. Add milk mixture; beat until light and fluffy.
- Divide frosting equally among four bowls, with 1-1/4 cups in each. To