Pastel Four-Layer Cake Recipe
Bryan Anderson of Granite Falls, Minnesota recalls, "My mother made this special birthday cake for me and my sister as we were growing up. It looks as good as it tastes and it easier to make than you would think."
- 1 package chocolate cake mix (regular size)
- 3 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- Pinch salt
- 1-1/2 cups milk
- 3/4 cup butter, softened
- 3/4 cup shortening
- 1-1/2 cups sugar
- Yellow, red and green liquid food coloring
- 1/4 teaspoon each lemon, peppermint, almond and vanilla extract
- 3 tablespoons baking cocoa
- 1. Prepare and bake cake according to the package directions, using two greased and floured 9-in. round baking pans. Cool in pans for 10 minutes before removing to wire racks to cool completely.
- 2. In small saucepan, combine flour and salt. Gradually add milk. Bring to a boil; cook and stir over medium-high heat for 2 minutes or until thickened. Remove from the heat; cover and refrigerate until cooled completely.
- 3. In a large bowl, cream the butter, shortening, and sugar until light and fluffy. Add milk mixture; beat until light and fluffy.
- 4. Divide frosting equally among four bowls, with 1-1/4 cups in each. To the first bowl, add 2-3 drops yellow food coloring and lemon extract until blended. To second bowl, add 2-3 drops red food coloring and peppermint extract. To third bowl, add 2-3 drops green food coloring and almond extract. To the last bowl, add the cocoa and vanilla.
- 5. Cut each cake horizontally into two layers. Place bottom layer on a serving plate; spread with green frosting. Top with the second layer; spread with yellow frosting. Top with the third layer; spread with pink frosting. Top with remaining cake layer; spread with cocoa frosting. Do not frost sides of cake. Yield: 12 servings.
© 2015 RDA Enthusiast Brands, LLC