Pasta with Fresh Vegetables Recipe
Looking for a recipe with summer flavor? This delicious pasta dish is so easy to prepare and a great way to use up your garden-fresh veggies. It’s also hearty and nutritious but still lower in fat and calories! Laurie Couture - Swanton, VT
TOTAL TIME: Prep: 15 min. Cook: 20 min. YIELD:6 servings
- 8 ounces uncooked penne pasta
- 1 cup sliced fresh carrots
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1/2 teaspoon minced garlic
- 1 cup fresh broccoli florets
- 1 cup sliced yellow summer squash
- 1 cup chopped green pepper
- 1 tablespoon minced fresh basil or 1 teaspoon dried basil
- 1 teaspoon minced fresh thyme or 1/4 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1 teaspoon minced fresh oregano or 1/4 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 3 cups chopped fresh plum tomatoes
- 5 teaspoons grated Parmesan cheese
- 1. Cook pasta according to package directions; drain.
- 2. Meanwhile, in a large nonstick skillet, saute the carrots in oil until crisp-tender. Add the garlic; cook for 1-2 minutes or until garlic is tender. Stir in the tomatoes, broccoli, squash, green pepper and seasonings. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; simmer, uncovered, for 10 minutes or until vegetables are tender.
- 3. Stir in pasta; sprinkle with cheese. Yield: 6 servings.
1-1/4 cups equals 205 calories, 4 g fat (1 g saturated fat), 1 mg cholesterol, 244 mg sodium, 37 g carbohydrate, 4 g fiber, 7 g protein.
© 2014 RDA Enthusiast Brands, LLC