- 1 package (16 ounces) spiral pasta
- 2 cups heavy whipping cream
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 2 cups (8 ounces) shredded Mexican cheese blend
- 1 small onion, chopped
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 5 tablespoons olive oil, divided
- 2 medium zucchini, julienned
- 2 medium yellow summer squash, julienned
- 1-1/4 teaspoons salt, divided
- 1/8 teaspoon pepper
- 1 pound boneless skinless chicken breasts, sliced
- 1/4 teaspoon each dried basil, marjoram and savory
- 1/4 teaspoon dried rosemary, crushed
- 1/8 teaspoon rubbed sage
- Cook pasta according to package directions. Meanwhile, in a large saucepan, add cream and butter; cook until butter is melted. Stir until smooth. Add cheese; cook and stir until cheese is melted. Rinse and drain pasta; add to cheese mixture. Cover and keep warm.
- In a large skillet, saute onion and garlic in 3 tablespoons oil until onion is tender. Add squash; cook until tender. Add 1 teaspoon of salt and pepper; remove and keep warm.
- Add remaining oil to skillet; cook chicken with herbs and remaining salt until juices run clear. Place pasta on a serving platter; top with chicken and squash. Yield: 8 servings.
Full-Bodied White Wine
Enjoy this recipe with a full-bodied white wine such as Chardonnay or Viognier.
Reviews for Pasta with Chicken and Squash
"One of my family's favorites. Didn't change a thing...don't think it needs anything."
"I made this for dinner last night, and it was delicious! I did make a few changes -- I used skim milk in place of the heavy cream (since we're trying to cut back on calories) and it turned out just fine. The pasta was a bit bland, so I added crushed red pepper flakes, salt, and pepper to the sauce. And I added some green and yellow peppers to the squash. Yum!"
"This is really good. I had to change it though i used half heavy cream & half 1% milk ( thats what i had on and i would use half & half if i was going to shop). I also had to season it more. I actually added crushed red pepper, salt & white & black ground pepper to the cheese sauce & it made it much better. I also added some fresh cayenne peppers to the squash & that helped as well. I season everything well so if you're used to a blander dish then just make it the way it is. Still very excellent!"
"Good idea, but not alot of flavor, we had to add alot more seasoning then the recipe called for, expect to have to add seasoning"
" Great dish!"
"I agree completely with Doreensanzone--very rich. I have used half and half in the cheese sauce with good results."
"So easy and delicious! It was become a household favorite! I've even used the season chicken in other dishes because of its wonderful flavor!"
"Hugely popular with my entire family. Be warned: it's VERY rich and filling. Very yummy!"